Sunday, August 06, 2006

Lunch, Yahoo and a Good Nights Sleep

Well it's been a few days since I've had anything new to post about.
This week I have a few pleasant surprises.

First I found a great little hole in the wall restaurant to eat at where the owner speaks a little English. I call it Chinglish.
Another American teacher named Hylan took me there and introduced me to the owner.
The name of the place is Ani Usao. The owners name is Liu Yuan Ping.
This is Liu on the left...His brother runs the register while his father and kids make deliveries.
A nice family business.


I've been eating there several times a week...

The food is hot, brown, cheap and there's plenty of it.


I also found a mattress for my bed...Well...Sort of.
Jeff called the other day and wanted to go to lunch some place...Where did we go? You got it.
We met a couple of his Chinese friends there. Two girls...25ish.
Abby and her cousin. They hung out while we pigged out. They had already eaten lunch.
After lunch we went shopping to see if we could find an extra chip for my camera.
While on the third floor of the department store I noticed some beds.
I wondered if they would sell just the cushion?
I had Abby ask for me...nope you have to buy the whole bed.
I had her ask is she knew where we could find one.
The woman told her and she agreed to take me there.
Five mins. By taxi.
We found the shop and did a little haggling.



150 yuans ($20) later and I have a great nights sleep.

Abby thought it was a lot of money and to tell the truth...I would have paid $100 for it to be able to sleep good at night.

The Chinese sleep on a tight weave on a box. On top of that goes a grass matt....That's all.



Here it is with my new cushion....I can hardly wait for bedtime!!




O.K. I said, lunch, Yahoo and a good nights sleep.

Now for the Yahoo part. Jeff told me about a Yahoo's PC to phone calling feature.

I can call any phone anywhere in the world from my computer for about a penny a minute.

I called my dad the other night, we talked for a half an hour for 30 cents...You gotta love that.

By the way...It was great talking to you dad.

Tomorrow I am going to pick peaches with some friends....I'll be sure to take my camera!


Jim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home